Every college possesses enthusiastic student ambassadors. These ambassadors are typically comprised of the most engaged students with the most outgoing personalities – i.e. the “faces” of the institution. So, why not use them for marketing purposes? In this reality show generation, prospective students want to see and hear from current students about authentic campus life at colleges and universities.
Our research has shown that when we add the name of a current student to an outreach communication (print, email etc.), response rates tend to increase. If these students truly are “ambassadors” of your institution, find ways to integrate them into your communication flow.
Here are some ideas that we recommend to schools:
1. Create twitter feeds from the students such as @auengineeringjoe or @auhistorystacey. Let prospects know that these students will be tweeting about happenings on campus and other news as it relates to their majors.
2. Send an email from the ambassadors highlighting their experiences on campus
3. Create an “outcomes” brochure that profiles not only alums, but also current students
4. Set up skype meetings for students to be able to talk to your ambassadors online
5. Include the ambassadors in college fairs
6. Set up a blog with the ambassadors that details their time on campus. (This also GREATLY improves your SEO!)
Utilizing real students to deliver real messages greatly improves your visibility and also adds another dimension that can be instrumental in terms of connecting with prospective students.